Our group was formed in 2019 as a committee of three NYSAA chapters: Beauchamp, Chenango, and Finger Lakes Chapters. To become a member of the Cemetery Network, join one of these three NYSAA Chapters.
Our mission is to be focused exclusively on the above-ground archeological study of gravestones, memorials, landscapes and statuary within cemeteries and burial grounds. We will also focus on the past and contemporary practices surrounding cultural heritage and burial traditions. Committee members will not engage in excavation or exhumation of human remains. Our mission is to research, preserve, educate, advocate for and raise awareness of the value of cemeteries and burial grounds.
Our Activities include:
- Cemetery tours
- Cemetery clean-up
- Lectures on local carvers
- Carver identification
- Signage for rural cemeteries
- Gravestone Cleaning and Simple Resets following professional recommendations and standards
Our geographic area stretches from Seneca County to Otsego County.
Members in the News!
- ‘Cemetery Lovers’ Mt. Upton couple work to preserve the memory of those who came before us, WBNG.com, September 29, 2020
- Learning to clean and preserve gravestones in Newburgh’s oldest burial ground, Times Herald-Record, October 12, 2020.
- “The Coffin Man and His apprentices” A talk at the Cortland County Historical Society, NY (YouTube Video)