The Lewis Henry Morgan Chapter summer dig will take place at the Tram site August 10-11 and August 17-18. The Morgan Chapter has investigated the site since 2017. The Tram Site (Hne 6-4) was a large, palisaded Seneca Iroquois village of an estimated 800 to 1000 persons who resided there from about A.D. 1580 to 1595. Traces of the palisade enclosure (i.e., oval ditch and embankments) still remained when a Smithsonian survey of the site was undertaken by Ephraim Squier around 1850, but these have now all but disappeared. Although we know a great deal about the material culture of these people through excavations that have taken place at the site over the last 160+ years, the extent of the village and the size and distribution of the residential structures in it remain open to question. There is slight evidence that the palisade may have been repositioned—either to expand or contract the size of the village, at some point in its history. Last season we found a series of postmolds in two units that may be the palisade or a longhouse. We will work on identifying the nature of these features which may help clarify the extent of the village.
Location: Endwell, Broome County, New York
Season Dates: May 27, 2014 – July 3, 2014
Application Deadline: May 9, 2014
Website: Binghamton 2014 Field School
Affiliation: Binghamton University
Project Directors: Nina M. Versaggi and Maria O’Donovan, Public Archaeology Facility
The Historic Amos Patterson site is associated with one of the oldest standing structures in Broome County, NY. Around 1797, Patterson settled on the north bank of the Susquehanna River in the Town of Union. On his larger parcel of land, he built a log cabin, then a plank house while his main dwelling was under construction. In addition to his farm, he owned and operated one of the earliest saw mills in the region. His farmstead and saw mill flourished during the nineteenth century, and he became a prominent pioneer settler in the Susquehanna Valley.